The Wisconsin Herd
When did the team begin play?
The team’s inaugural season was 2017-18.
Where does the team play?
The team plays in the new 3,300-seat Menominee Nation Arena located at 1212 South Main St. Oshkosh, WI 54902.
Who does the team play?
The team will compete in the NBA G League, which includes 27 teams for the 2018-19 season. Teams are located throughout the country.
Who owns the team?
The Milwaukee Bucks own the G League team.
Who manages/coaches the team?
The Bucks oversee the basketball staff for the team. Dave Dean was the first general manager and Jordan Brady is the team’s head coach.
Do Bucks players regularly play on the team?
The G League provides an excellent avenue for young players to gain valuable experience. Two players on the current Bucks roster have G League experience, and operating our own G League franchise will provide even more opportunities for our younger players to continue developing their skills. All NBA players are eligible to be assigned to the NBA G League, with players having more than three years of NBA experience needing to consent to the assignment.
How can I watch the games?
In the Oshkosh, Wis. area, all home games are televised on MYNEW32. Check local listings.
All NBA G League games, with the exception of those that are televised nationally, are streamed live on Facebook Live. Log on to www.facebook.com/NBAGLeague before tip-off or find the link via the game page on NBAGLeague.com.
Games can also be found on ESPNU, NBA TV, Twitch and ELEVEN SPORTS. All games not airing on those networks will stream on Facebook Live. Games airing on Eleven Sports will be available on Facebook Live within a 50-mile radius of the home and away team markets.
NBA G League
What is the NBA G League?
The NBA G League, formally known as the NBA Development League, is the NBA’s official minor league, preparing players, coaches, officials, trainers and front office staff for the NBA while acting as the league’s research and development laboratory.
How many games are in an NBA G League season?
Each G League teams plays a 50-game schedule. Twenty-four (24) of those games will be played at home. Two games are played on a neutral site as part of the league’s annual NBA G League Showcase.
Where will the players come from?
The G League features a mix of young players, established pros looking for an opportunity to catch on with an NBA franchise, and players on assignment from their parent teams. The G League draft occurs each fall after NBA rosters are finalized.
Who is eligible to be drafted?
The league signs about 180 players each year to join the pool of draft-eligible prospects. They include college players who went undrafted in the NBA Draft, international prospects, and players who were recently waived by NBA teams following training camp. Players must be 18 years old to be eligible for the NBA G League Draft, as opposed to the NBA’s age minimum of 19.
How many NBA G League players have made it to the NBA?
An all-time high 265 players with NBA G League experience were on NBA rosters at the end of the 2017-18 regular season, representing 53 percent of the league. This group includes both players who were assigned from the NBA to the NBA G League and players who were called up from the NBA G League to the NBA at some point in their careers.
A record 50 NBA G League players earned 60 GATORADE Call-Ups to the NBA during the 2017-18 season.
Wisconsin Herd Call-Ups
- James Young (Philadelphia Sixers in the 2017-18 season)
- Xavier Munford (Milwaukee Bucks in the 2017-18 season)
- Brandon Jennings (Milwaukee Bucks in the 2017-18 season)
Where do NBA G League players come from?
There are eight different paths a player can take to the NBA G League:
- NBA teams can assign players to their NBA G League affiliate and recall them at any time.
- NBA teams can draft players and sign them to NBA G League contracts, thus retaining their rights through the “Draft Rights Player” rule.
- New for the 2017-18 season, NBA teams may now designate up to two “two-way” players who are on the NBA team’s roster but will primarily play in the NBA G League
- NBA teams can designate up to four players that they cut during training camp as “affiliate players,” meaning those players will join that team’s NBA G League affiliate (should the players choose to sign into the NBA G League). These players are signed under contract with the league rather than the team, however, meaning they are technically free agents who can be called up to any of the 30 NBA teams.
- NBA G League teams hold local tryouts each offseason and can invite up to five players from these tryouts to their training camps.
- The NBA G League holds a draft every year consisting of nearly 200 players who have signed contracts with the league. In 2016, the draft consisted of six rounds.
- Players who return to the NBA G League are, by rule, re-acquired by the teams that they played for within the last two seasons (Returning Players).
- Once the NBA G League season begins, players who sign NBA G League contracts are placed into a rotating waiver pool so that teams can claim them.
- If a player from high school, college or overseas enters the NBA G League without ever having declared for the NBA Draft, he will also join the waiver pool. That player remains NBA Draft-eligible but is not eligible to be called up to the NBA.
When a new franchise joins the league, an expansion draft is held in which the new team selects 16 players from a pool of unprotected players among the league’s other teams. The expansion team will then hold that player’s NBA G League rights for two seasons. Each returning team can protect up to 12 of its players from being selected.
What is the value in owning/operating your own G League team?
Operating our own team gives up a valuable platform for developing players, coaches and even front office personnel. The team also gives us another vehicle to connect with the many passionate basketball fans across the state of Wisconsin.
How can I get a job with the team?
How can I submit a donation request from the Wisconsin Herd for my organization’s auction or raffle?
Please see the submission form and guidelines on our community page for any donation requests.
Where can I park to attend Herd home games?
There is limited free general parking in the Menominee Nation Arena lot. From the north, guests will enter from the 11th Avenue entrance. From the south, guests will enter from the Main Street entrance. Street parking near the arena is also free for guests.
The Handicap parking entrance and Verve VIP parking entrance is located on South Park Avenue. For more information, please see Menominee Nation Arena’s website.
When will tickets go on sale?
Fans can reserve season tickets for the 2018-19 season in now by visiting the Wisconsin Herd ticket page and placing a deposit for standard seating or premium seating. Information on single-game tickets and partial season packages will be available at a later date.
How much will tickets cost?
See our ticket page for more information.